Friday, May 27, 2022

Hooray for Crumb Quilts

Now you know what I have been doing for the past couple of weeks. 




Yes, working on a crumb quilt with my red, white, and blue scraps. 




I have saved the scraps from every patriotic quilt or project I have made over the past few years. Now I'm ironing, pinning, sewing, cutting and enjoying every minute of it! I do love sewing with red, white, and blue fabrics. It gives me a good feeling about patriotism!




Most of my sewing has been at night this month with yard work consuming by daylight hours. I did get a nice surprise when I was dead heading my roses the other day.



I have about six blocks finished and think I may get five or six more by the time I'm done. If you aren't a quilter, you may be wondering what a crumb quilt might be, if so, here's a short definition:
 
Basically, it’s sewing small pieces of fabric together to make new fabric which can be cut up to make blocks, borders, sashing and more. source


So, I've been sewing every small bit and piece of these fabrics together then cutting the blocks into 12-inch squares. Here are four of the finished blocks.




I'm thinking about how to put the blocks together. Since it is my very first crumb quilt, I need your advice.  

  • Should I add sashing between the blocks? 
  • If so, what color should the sashing be?
  • Should I use corner stones? 
  • Color of corner stones?
  • No sashing?
  • How about borders and binding?
I would love to hear your thoughts - Judy.


Linking to:

Beauties Pageant @ From Bolt to Beauty on Thursday 

Home Matters Link Party on Friday

The Peacock Party @ Wendy's Quilts and More on Friday
Off the Wall Friday @ Creations, Quilts, Whatever
Sweet Inspirations @ the Boondocks Blog
Finished (or not) Friday @ Alycia Quilts 

Flaunt It Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Friday Foto Fun @ Powered by Quilting

Pink Saturday @ How Sweet the Sound on Friday

Mosaic Monday @ Letting Go of the Bay Leaf on Sunday

Love Your Creativity Link Party @ Life and Linda on Sunday at 2pm

Oh Scrap @ Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday

Busy Monday @ A Pinch of Joy on Sundays at 5pm

Monday Making @ Love, Laugh, Quilt on Sunday

Design Wall Monday @ Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Scrap Infatuation on Wednesday


7 comments:

  1. Your quilt blocks are just amazing! I am sure it's going to become a mind-blowing quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crumb blocks and I love your crumb blocks especially. I have used sashing and cornerstones in the past. My first one was crumbs with not consistent colors. I used a bright limey green sashing and purple corner stones. 1.5" finished. It really depends on the look your are looking for. I think the sashing helps give the eye a place to rest and unifies the whole quilt. But it is personal preference. No sashing give an all over scrappy look. Search "scrap vortex quilts". See Sew Preeti Quilts blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to use crumb blocks as the centerpiece in a larger block. I would cut them down and use them as the center of a block like friendship star, churn dash, shoo fly or sawtooth star. Any way that you use them they will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made several crumb quilts. I think I would make those into some crumb stars or maybe use as an alternate block for some Sawtooth Stars.
    I'll be working on my little box of patriotic print scraps in June and after that project is finished I'll probably make a few crumb blocks. One of my projects this year is Crumby Flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy, love your crumb blocks. I think that once you've done all of your blocks (or many of them), they will tell you what they need. I find that having some kind of sashing just helps to break up the blocks and frames them well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy, I like to take advantage of all the small scraps and crumb blocks are a great way of using them.
    I made Sawtooh star blocks with crumb blocks in the middle, and made also placemats only with crumbs.
    Have fun with yours. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh Love those blocks! I like sashing that is solid so it makes the blocks pop - try light blue or light grey against them ;-)

    ReplyDelete