Sunday, October 8, 2017

Sunburst Pattern on A 100 Year Old Quilt

We recently visited the Red River Gorge in the Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky. As we approached the Gladie Visitor Center, I saw an old barn with a quilt pattern square near the top of the barn. I love quilt barns so I snapped a few pics of the barn. 







We went in the Gladie Visitor Center and what a pleasant surprise I had. In a glass showcase, there was the original Sunburst Quilt that I had seen on the barn.




The story of this Sunburst Quilt says it is over 100 years old and was pieced by Elizabeth Newton Gibbs (grandmother of Stanley Gibbs) and completed by Emma Hull Gibbs (mother of Stanley) in the Gladie Cabin. The quilt has 18 pieced blocks and 17 plain blocks with a quilting pattern of parallel diagonal lines. 



The quilt was given to Stanley Gibbs as a wedding present. The quilt migrated to California but eventually returned to its roots through a donation by the youngest sister of Stanley. 





This sunburst quilt certainly made my day so I wanted to share it with other quilters - Judy.

Linking to:

Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making
Cooking Up Quilts for Main Crush Monday
BOMs Away Monday @ Katie Mae Quilts
Moving It Forward @ Em's Scrapbag

Scraptastic Tuesday @ She Can Quilt

Midweek Makers for Quilt Fabrication on Wednesday
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation on Wednesday
Have A Daily Cup for Share Your cup Thursday
Thankful Thursday @ It's a Small Town Life
Busy Hands Quilts for Finished or Not Friday

Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop Friday

Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday

Scrap Happy Saturday @ Superscrappy

Oh Scrap @ Quilting is more fun than Laundry on Sunday
The Barn Collective @ Tom The Backroads Traveler



27 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful quilt - thank you so much for sharing it on Main Crush Monday. I think it's wonderful that it has been preserved so that others may enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to have seen the barn quilt then the orginal quilt, thanks for sharing the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Quilts stand the test of time and it is so fun learning the history behind these old ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judy,
    Wow - thank you so much for sharing the Sunburst quilt. It is so beautiful and it is amazing to think about Stanley's grandmother and mother working on a quilt for him and his new bride. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always fun to see a well preserved quilt with a fun history. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to see old quilts. This one is particularly beautiful; I'm amazed at how vibrant the colors still are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. I just love vintage quilts plus I've been thinking about making a Sunburst, Rising Sun or Sunflower quilt so like to see the vintage inspiration of the ladies of yore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing it. It makes my day, too, especially with a little of its history.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it's so beautiful...what a special find!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful story, and to have seen both quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I love the quilt barn too. It is always a treat to find a new one. The actual quilt is beautiful, I am glad they have it one display! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the quilt barn! But that real quilt is a wonderful treasure! Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that old and you'd never know from the pattern or colors or material. Maybe someone would but not me. Great find, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cool! How fun to see it on the barn and in the museum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful old quilt and so wonderful that it has been preserved, too. The barn quilt is amazing, too! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. That barn quilt is a gem! I haven't seen one like it before. Thanks for linking up today. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoyed the story of the quilt. There are so many untold stories of quilts. I always enjoy hearing them. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  18. How wonderful to see not only a spectacular barn quilt, but the original quilt, too! What a great history! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful to see that vintage quilt in the Visitors Centre. And amazing that it has survived so long.

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for sharing. it was so nice of the sister to share this masterpiece with others. cool quilt

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did a quick google map of the gorge, and yep, I knew I'd seen signs from I-75 when we drive to Florida! Beautiful quilt, both barn and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE it!! and that it is on a barn too - in the plaids!!! So perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How fun! I love that block. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful barn quilt and the real quilt is outstanding! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How lovely to put it on the barn!
    My gramma's quilts have worn out. hand done. Such memories!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Whoa - what an intriguing story! Thank you for sharing - I would have been spellbound if I'd found that in real life! So glad I got to know about it this way.

    ReplyDelete