Sunday, June 23, 2013

Kraft Challenge with a Card

Simon Says is having a challenge this week that allows me to use one of my favorite kinds of paper- Kraft paper



This challenge allowed me to use kraft paper and cardboard plus lots of Tim Holtz Distress Stains and Distress Paint. 


My project began by 
using kraft paper 
and distressing it 
with TH Gathered Twigs.












Then embossing it with  

Sizzix Embossing Folder 
TH Alterations Textures Fades 
America Background and Border Set.

I used such a combination of Distress Stains and paints trying to get the look I was after. 

Stains: Barn Door, Salty Ocean, Antique Bronze, Tarnish Brass
Paints: Brushed Pewter, Chipped Sapphire, Barn Door, Picket Fence



I used a small paint brush 
on some of the raised letters at first but kept distressing with additional paint and stains.


I worked on the folder print for two days, painting, staining, drying, more painting, more staining. It took many times before I had what I thought I was looking for. 






Next I used another 
Sizzix Die - 
TH Alterations Old Glory. 

I used cardboard to cut the die 
then began distressing the flag with Barn Door, Brushed Corduroy Stain and Picket Fence Paint. I painted the stars again after this picture, you'll see in the final product.


After that I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my project, I didn't want a card, I wanted something bigger - a collage. It began with the inside of a pizza box. I started painting it with Picket Fence Distress Paint for a washed look.
The box also went through many stages with more layers of paint - Picket Fence and Tarnished Brass. Drying, painting and over again. The final layer was stamping with  TH Mixed Media and Ranger Archival Ink - Coffee. 


I printed a patriotic images of an 
eagle and shield from The Graphics Fairy on watercolor paper, tore the edges, stained then with Gathered Twigs and added just a tiny bit of color on the shield. 

I add a little blue to the shield at the end.



I started putting the collage together by just laying everything in place for a visual then adding a few more touches.

In a corner I stamped a USA from the TH Mini Blueprints CMS 146 with Ranger Archival Ink - Vermillion.  The reverse of the stars from the embossing folder was used as a stencil and dabbed with TH Brushed Pewter.



"Freedom" letters from 
Sizzix TH Alterations - 
Wanted Alphabet strip were used. These were cut from kraft paper then painted with 
Brushed Pewter Distress Paint.






There is a very light stamp of the Statue of Liberty Head just below the "Freedom" letters also from the Mini Blueprints CMS 146 collection of TH.












I added some burlap ribbon that I dabbed with Adirondack Dabber - Gold and began gluing it all together with CH Studio multi-medium matte.



Challenges:
Simon Says Stamp and Show - Kraft Challenge



3 comments:

  1. Fantastic patriotic card. The background embossed is lovely and the eagle is fantastic. Thanks for joining us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I haven't done this in quite a while. Love those distressing stains. Your patriotic card is outstanding, and I love the use of the burlap. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you used the burlap in the card and the embossed Eagle and background of it it's simply fabulous, Judy! Thanks for your sweet visit. Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete